Create a ROCK GARDEN and bring diversity and year-round interest into urban landscapes.
- Select and area that receives sun at least half of the day.
- Outline a desired shape with rock on the ground.
- Fill shape with planting mix.
- Add rock and planting mix to create subsequent layers.
- Add adequate planting medium for root protection and growth under rocks.
- Place rocks carefully to ensure stability.
- Select plants that are low-growing and can creep in and around rock crevasses.
Incorporate plants that are considerably smaller than rocks such as Woolly Yarrow (Achillea tomentosa), Pineleaf Penstemon )p. pinifolius), germander (Teucrium sp.), Snow-in-Summer (Cerastium tomentosum), succulents, iceplant and sedums.
Join the Countdown to Spring event